Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Politics

New York AG’s investigation against Trump can continue, federal judge rules

Trump sued last year alleging New York Attorney General Letitia James violated his constitutional rights by investigating him in bad faith. Trump based his argument on statements James made during her campaign for attorney general. He asked to block the investigation or force James’ recusal.

In throwing out the lawsuit, Sannes wrote: “In sum, the Court concludes that Plaintiffs could have raised the claims and requested the relief they seek in the federal action in the New York proceeding.”

Sannes added that to allow the lawsuit to proceed would interfere with ongoing state court actions, including New York Judge Arthur Engoron’s order holding Trump in civil contempt for failing to comply with a subpoena for documents.

“Granting the relief Plaintiffs seek would have the practical effect of interfering with the contempt ruling in the New York proceeding and runs the risk of rendering that order ‘nugatory,'” the judge wrote.

Alina Habba, an attorney for Trump, pledged to appeal.

“There is no question that we will be appealing this decision,” Habba said in a statement. “If Ms. James’s egregious conduct and harassing investigation does not meet the bad faith exception to [the law], then I cannot imagine a scenario that would.”

James and Trump have had numerous courtroom showdowns in New York state court over subpoenas stemming from the civil investigation into the accuracy of the Trump Organization’s financial statements.

Sannes’ ruling is the latest setback for Trump in his effort to stop or slow the investigation, which is nearing completion.

The federal judge also said she found no evidence that the litigation to support the enforcement of the subpoenas was in retaliation, or that anyone acted in “bad faith.” She said the investigation has a “legitimate factual predicate.”

James says her investigation into the Trump Organization will continue “undeterred.”

“Time and time again, the courts have made clear that Donald J. Trump’s baseless legal challenges cannot stop our lawful investigation into his and the Trump Organization’s financial dealings,” James said in a statement.

On Thursday, a New York appeals court ruled that Trump, Ivanka Trump and Donald Trump Jr. would need to answer questions under oath as part of the attorney general’s investigation. Trump’s attorney said they may appeal that decision as well.

This story has been updated with additional details Friday.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You May Also Like

Politics

On Friday, Willow’s crate was spotted being carried by a staff member from the White House residence to Marine One, the presidential helicopter that...

Politics

“As a teacher, I’ve imagined that scene in my own classroom, again and again,” said Biden during remarks at the National Parent Teachers Association’s...

Politics

Navarro is charged with contempt of Congress after failing to appear for testimony or turn over documents in the House select committee’s investigation. While...

Politics

The hearing, which had been scheduled for Wednesday but was postponed until next week, would feature former top Trump administration legal officials who stood...

Politics

Paladino, then a Buffalo school board member, was defending himself against allegations that previous comments he made were racist and said he cared about...

Politics

But there was a striking change from pre-2020 briefings: It touched on violent threats to election officials that stem from conspiracy theories about the...

Politics

But inside the Treasury Department, teams of sanctions experts view that resilience as a mirage. In exclusive interviews with CNN, top Treasury Department officials...

Politics

The presidential election controversy is roiling the Supreme Court again, as the House select committee investigating the January 6, 2021, US Capitol attack continues...