US District Judge Paul Friedman confirmed during a hearing Wednesday morning that Hinckley is still on track for “unconditional release” in mid-June, attorney Barry Levine told CNN.
Hinckley was found not guilty by reason of insanity and spent nearly 30 years at a mental hospital. Over time, he underwent extensive mental health treatment and received permission from judges to visit with his family. He eventually was granted judicial clearance to start posting music online, under his own name.
Levine said at the September 2021 hearing that there is an extensive body of evidence from independent psychologists and experts that Hinckley’s “mental disease is in full, stable and complete remission, and has been so for over three decades.” Doctors, Levine added at the time, have repeatedly concluded that Hinckley doesn’t pose a risk to the public and is sincerely committed to continuing his therapy and treatment.
Hinckley has started a YouTube page and posts videos of himself playing guitar, singing covers and original songs. He is an artist and wants to continue making music, Levine said last year.
The Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation and Institute, which runs the Reagan Library, has publicly opposed Hinckley’s full release, with the organization asserting last year that he remained dangerous.
The foundation “is saddened to hear of the decision to unconditionally release John Hinckley, Jr., the man responsible for the attempted assassination of President Reagan, a shooting that gravely wounded three other brave men,” it said in a statement last year. “Contrary to the judge’s decision, we believe John Hinckley is still a threat to others and we strongly oppose his release.”
CNN’s Marshall Cohen contributed to this report.